Secret Lucas Writings

This is my blog where I primarily write about interactive media and design. I hope you enjoy.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Gamer's Manifesto

Hey dude, I'm with ya. Hopefully I can do something about these conventions, a lot of them that came from a mixture of inadequate technology and just plain lazy game design. Unfortunately, it's a big mountain to climb. And a lot of it isn't the audience, it's the reviewers.

I'm not going to say too much here, for fear that it will bite me in the ass later. Let's just say that to a lot of publishers, reviews are just as important as sales. With the hardest of hardcore gamers ending up being reviewers, I'm not sure how much push a casual market (I should say "non-gamer" market), is really going to have.

To be honest, I don't really like that. Usually, the best forms of art weren't critically acclaimed until well after their sale date. Especially popular culture ones. Remember, Dickens, one of my favorite authors of all time, was pretty pop-culture. So was Shakespeare.

Yeah, it was quite an eye-opener on how much a heavy hand a few people have in works made for the many. And I'm not too happy about it. And unfortunately, those of you who felt left out, are the ones who are going to suffer over it. Uggh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home