Secret Lucas Writings

This is my blog where I primarily write about interactive media and design. I hope you enjoy.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

related note

On a related note.

I decided that I would eventually like to be a game designer someday. As much as I like having my hands in the implementation, I'm really starting to see the huge task that is game design, and how important it really is.

Also, I'm currently not on the "the industry is creatively bankrupt" bandwagon. I mean, yeah, sure, sometimes you look at the titles and are like "what? why?". But really, I think this whole "cry for innovation" thing has swung way too far on the pendulum.

It's mainly because everyone is focusing on the "big premise", when really, the big premise is a very small part of what makes a game enjoyable. The devil is in the details my friends. Hundreds of minor little details, like the responsiveness of a button, how big a collision box is, how fast an animation. All of these add up to make or break a game.

I frequent the Gamedev.net boards a lot, and everyone and their mother has this "great idea" for a game. But when it comes down to it, the great idea may not be that great. And bad design can drag down even the best premise. Everybody wants to cook up a pitch, and leave it there. We need more people to pull up their sleeves and make it happen, and not be afraid to worry about the details.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home