Secret Lucas Writings

This is my blog where I primarily write about interactive media and design. I hope you enjoy.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

torque and cornflakes

Anyone ever use the Torque engine?
Right now it looks like a really good idea. Being a programmer, I would really like to be able to make my personal games with as little programming as possible. Not that I hate extracurricular programming, but I think you all can understand my aversion. But I'm more than willing to hike up my sleeves and dig my hands into some code if need be.

First things first, need to get a new computer. Little Einstein here just hasn't been the same since I put Windows XP on it. A great internet machine, and was great for working on Lego Mindstorms, but now he doesn't even have a CD drive.

So, gonna build myself a computer to do four things. 1 - Edit movies. 2 - Make 3D games (which is where Torque comes in) 3 - compose music (Fruityloops just CHUGS on this machine) 4 - get back into Lego Mindstorms. Gonna hold off until after Shrek goes final though.

I just realized though. NEXT WEEK IS THE LAST WEEK OF JULY! In the words of a great man "HOLY SHIT"

Anyways.

I've had SERIOUS writers block on my comic. Basically, I can't figure out an ending. And without an ending, you can't have a story. Because the story is all about coming to an ending. I've always thought that you should work from the ending backwards. I have an ending, but it's so overly cliche. But given my characters, it's the only logical conclusion.

When I have a block on one thing, usually I get inspirations on other things. Such is the case with Captain Cornflake. I just had this huge epithany where everything came together, the characters, their relationships, everything. so I'm thinking of that now, while the Psycho goes on the backburner.

You may be wondering about Cubicles? Well, the original designer decided that he wanted to design something else. And I'm just too exhausted to spend a lot of time learning how to build a 3D tile editor when the person I'd be building it for isn't even into it.

Sometimes I worry though, do I want to do so many things that I end up doing nothing? I don't think that's going to be the case though. But when you're doing things for your enjoyment, you just can't force it. If you're doing it because it makes you happy, well the minute it drags on you and feels like work, you shouldn't do it. Especially when you do a good job at your actual job.

But given that I've wanted to write the Psycho since I was 12, and now have more of the time and knowledge to do it, and the fact that I have the time and knowledge to make Captain Cornflake, which I've wanted to make since I was 20, I think eventually, they'll both get made. And that, is good enough for me.

Cornelius T. Flake - To the Rescue!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yo, you have a Terrific blog here! Lots of content means more readers, more readers means more interaction!
    I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
    I have a
    window xp media center editionsite/blog. It pretty much covers window xp media center edition related stuff.
    Come take a Look when you get a chance. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home