Secret Lucas Writings

This is my blog where I primarily write about interactive media and design. I hope you enjoy.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Oh my god, a post!

It's been a while, I know. Personal life sort of distracted me from my neverending quest to understand the phenomenon known as gaming. But now that the trip has ended, and the dust has settled, I'm back in this saddle riding off into the hills.

Speaking of trips, what better occassion to return than coming back from E3?

It seems that I have achieved another milestone in the life of a professional game developer, that of attending E3. This was my first one, and probably won't be my last, but don't see that as a positive review of E3 itself. If there was only the conference, and I was attending surrounded by strangers, I would have been miserable. But fortunately I know some really great people, both in and outside of the industry, and these fine folks made the trip great.

As far as my current impressions with E3. It was nice to feel how big our industry is, sort of legitimizes the whole spiel. Once a year, people who don't normally think about videogames hear about it on the news, thanks to mainstream news media like CNN, Time, ABC, etc. This helps filter out over the rest of the year and just keeps rolling over time.

Most games, eh. Lots of stuff just the same as before. Lots of MMO's that look just like other stuff, LoTR, D&D, Guild Wars, new WoW, etc. I'm still not gonna play MMO's. Lots of shooter brand X, like there always has been since Doom, and always will be. I wasn't impressed with the PS3, but I only played one game - Resistance: Fall of Man. MSG4 had a cool trailer, but in the end, what's the big deal? I liked Metal Gear Solid as a whole, but the gameplay got very frustrating at times. It was a lot of dealing with stuff to get to the next cutscene. And some of it was just unfair, even if it was cool. Like Psycho Mantis. I haven't played the sequels, but I watched my roomate play the second one and realized I wasn't missing out. MSG4 - great story great characters, subpar gameplay.

My biggest thing was the Wii. I got to bypass the huge line outside, but it was still 30 minutes per game inside. I played Zelda and Mario, so I will talk about them.

Zelda, I didn't feel like it was anything special. A lot like Ocarina, but with better graphics. The Wii stuff felt tacked on, and I got very frustrated. I'm a very unforgiving player, so that's easy for me to do. Once a game becomes NOT fun, I just don't want to keep playing it. Sometimes I will because by that point it's too late, or something else keeps me engaged, but I get very resentful about it. However, I'm not going to bash the game too much, as I don't feel it would be proper. I've expressed my opinions to a person at Nintendo, so that is that.

Now, for Super Mario, I am AMAZED. This was the game of the show for me. Let me tell you something - I don't like Mario. I just don't. Heck, I just played the new Mario for the DS, and I still don't like it. It just doesn't FEEL right. But SMG, wow, this is the game I WANT to play. It's just so right.

Wow, I haven't posted this yet - to be continued.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home